A little bit about us
We are Vancouver’s busiest and best cheese store. We stock anywhere between 400-500 cheeses, specializing in raw milk French Cheeses. We also stock cheeses from BC, Italy, Spain and the UK
We pride ourselves on our selection of specialty food items including varietal olive oils, vinegars, crackers, biscuits, olives, pates and much much more.
We are open seven days a week, except holiday Mondays.
We have a full kitchen on premises at our East Vancouver store in Strathcona where we make frozen meals to meet the busy needs of our customers. Our customers demand food at least as good as they would make at home for themselves if they had the time.
Retail Store - Cheesemonger
Do you love cheese?
We really love cheese at les amis du FROMAGE, and we have an opening for someone to work in our retail stores.
The successful candidate must be able to work in a busy team environment. You should be able to lift 25 kg, and be able to withstand extended periods of time in the cooler/freezer.
Cheese shop experience is not necessary, but some customer service experience is needed. A keen interest in food, wine and cooking is an asset, as well as a strong desire to provide an excellent, friendly customer experience.
This is a full time position with daytime hours, and working weekends is the norm. Days off would be weekdays. If you need weekends off, then this won’t be a good fit for you.
We have two locations, so you should expect to be scheduled to work at both our Kitsilano and East Vancouver stores.
Foodsafe and a driver’s licence are a plus.
What We Are Looking For:
- Our preference is for keen individuals with a serious enthusiasm for fine food.
- Culinary experience is helpful, but not necessary
- Knowledge of cheese will be considered an asset but is not necessary.
- Wine knowledge will also be an asset
- What’s more important are energy, passion for food, and the ability to provide exceptional customer service.
Retail duties will include:
- Serving customers by helping them choose cheese, cutting cheese to order for them and helping them with anything else they may want to purchase.
- General cutting, wrapping and pricing of cheese during slower periods
- Taking and filling wholesale orders
- Stocking shelves
- General cleanliness of the store and some dishwashing
- Kitchen helper
- As we are a team, everybody participates in all tasks.
- Some heavy lifting may be required. You should be able to lift cheeses weighing up to 25 kg
You must be / have:
- Able to work any day, including weekends. You must also be available to work holidays, especially during our busy Christmas season
- Be able to work at either our Kitsilano or East Hastings stores
- Be able to start as early as 8 am, and work as late as 7pm. (not for your whole shift of course)
- Clean work habits
- Good eye for details
- Self motivated
- A passion for food
- A desire and the ability to provide great customer service
- Able to move and lift cheeses weighing up to 25 kg
- Be able to work in a cold environment for extended periods of time.
What We Can Offer:
- Excellent cheese training
- A professional yet fun work environment
- A chance to be part of the team at one of the best cheese shops in North America
- Fulltime daytime hours
- A starting wage of $13 per hour for the first 3 months, then $14 per hour.
- Extended health benefits after 6 months (f/t only)
Kitchen - Kitchen Helper
Does the thought of working in a well run, day time kitchen with a professional attitude sound like the change you’re looking for?
les amis du FROMAGE is looking for a Part-Time production cook to assist with the preparation of our line of frozen soups and meals. We currently have products listed in over 25 stores.
These are not your average home replacement meals. All our soups and entrees are made from scratch in small batches, by hand with care. We use premium local ingredients like Maple Hill Farms chicken and Blue Goose organic beef. We also try to use other local ingredients where possible.
This person will assist with the preparation and packaging of our frozen soups and entrees and help with cleaning. This is a part time, day time job. Your schedule will be Tuesday to Friday, with a shift of Noon to 6 pm. This could grow to a full-time job for the right person.
What we can offer:
• 20+ hours per week
• Daytime hours (No evenings)
• Large, clean and well-equipped kitchen
• Starting wage of $14 then $15 after 90 days
• Employee Benefits after six months (must 25+ hours per week)
• 20% Discount on store products
• Friendly and respectful work environment
Bonus points for:
• Food Nerd (we’re food nerds too)
• Foodsafe Certificate, level 1 or 2
How to Apply
If this sounds like a great place to work, then we would love to hear from you. You may apply using the following methods
- Email: Please send your résumé and a cover letter to Allison Spurrell. Our preference is for PDF.
- Fax: Please send your résumé and a cover letter to 604-736-0460
- In Person: You may drop off your résumé and cover letter to us in person at any one of our stores. We will do our best to make the time to meet you. However, please be respectful of how busy it may be in the store at the time you are applying.
- For kitchen jobs, please send your résumé and a cover letter to Joe Chaput. Our preference is for PDF.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Our customers are our business
If you see that it is busy and that there are several customers in the store, we ask that you please either just drop off your résumé with a staff member, or return again at a slower time.
We thank all applicants in advance for taking the time to apply
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted